Sunday 9 November 2014

Ladyfingers/ Kedi Dili

Ladyfingers are light and sweet sponge cake roughly shaped like a large finger. Wonder why they are called lady fingers then!!! Anyway these are a hybrid between a sponge cake and a cookie and there are many different versions of this cookie that has been made over ages.
My journey to make the ladyfingers started with my intention to put my toe in the water and see if I could do Tiramisu from the scratch but everyone at home loved it so much that it became a snack with milk at breakfast this morning
In this cake or biscuit or whatever you want to call it egg whites and egg yolks were mixed with sugar and beaten separately and folded together with flour. I then piped the mixture through a pastry bag in short lines onto sheets, giving the cookies their notable shape. It is a different story that the shapes did not turn out to be what I expected and therefore I christened it kedi dili ("cat's tongue") a term used in Turkey for ladyfingers.. Apt for what mine turned out to be!! I am assuming someone in Turkey had the same experience like me while making it look like ladyfingers.




Ingredients
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour 5 tbsp corn starch 3 eggs whites at room temperature 3 egg yolks at room temperature 9 tbsp sugar




Method
1. Sift the flour and corn starch together and set aside 2. In a bowl whip the egg whites and then start adding 6 tbsp sugar till soft peaks form 3. In a separate bowl whip the egg yolk and 3 tbsp sugar together 4. Fold in the egg yolk into the egg white 5. Add the flour and corn starch together and fold till incorporated 6. Pipe 4 inch long strips on a parchment paper 7. Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degree C for 8- 10 minutes or till golden brown
Decorate the way you like. I dipped the ends in chocolate.



1 comment:

  1. what can I use as a substitute for vanilla yogurt Sujata? Staying in a small town and all that

    ReplyDelete